Saturday, April 2, 2011

Show me the money....

One of the things is I love authors who are transparent about their sales as it provides others coming up in the industry to see what is possible. Each month on the Kindle board we have a "Who is brave enough to post their sales for xxx month". And I just got done scouring it and analyzing data from it. If you want to see the data you can here.


I've mentioned at Water Cooler that the people over here are not 'extra-ordinary' - well let me take that back they are extra ordinary as people - but as writers they are not the "outliers" that only a few can achieve - i.e. Hocking, Locke, Meyers, King. The people there for the most part are good solid "middle of the road" people who have found that self-publishing can be more lucrative than traditional. In the link I posted only 1 - (Victorine Lieskie) had hit the Amazon Top 100 (Michael got close with 102 for a few hours ;-)) Everyone else are just showing "good solid" sales.


I'm amazed by each and every one of these people as they show what is possible with the key ingredients to success: a) Talent b) Skill c) Perseverance d) Hard work I congratulate each and every one of you. You deserve all the riches you are achieving.


8 comments:

Robert Bidinotto said...

Robin, you've just completely dissected and buried the argument by Corporate Publishers that only two or three "lucky outliers" are making decent money through self-publishing. Congratulations and thanks!

Now, back to finishing my first thriller....

Unknown said...

That's fantastic!! I don't feel quite so bad any more... LOL I would be curious to know how long these folks have had books out, and how long it generally takes to build up to a reasonable amount of monthly sales? I shall have to peruse the site.

Thank you for the resource - and for being brave!! :)

Kate said...

I love those posts on Kindleboards. I think it's helpful to see where you're at. You may be 12 books a month or 12,000, but when you look at the list, it's great to realize that the 12,000 seller started at 12.

wannabuy said...

Robin,

Thanks for the data as always.

I'm happy to see the trend. :)

Neil

Unknown said...

Totally want to add my own thanks for all that you share. The posts here always get me thinking.

Robin Sullivan said...

Glad to be of assistance! Thanks for letting me know that this information (and others like it) is interesting to you.

Tara Maya said...

Very interesting. Thank you again for your hard work on this.

Tara Maya

The Unfinished Song: Initiate (UK)
The Unfinished Song: Initiate (US)

Shelia A. Huggins said...

Robin,

I published my novel, Belvoir, two months ago. For anyone who wants to follow the sales of a real newbie, it's all there at www.peelingcheek.wordpress.com. 14 in Feb. 8 in March. 4 so far for April. I was really looking forward to sales increasing not decreasing.