This site does two things:
- Takes a long URL and makes it shorter
- Tracks clicks to that shortened URL
- When tweeting
- As a signature in a blog comment
- As a signature in a forum
It's very simple to use, and like most great things on the Internet is 100% free. Basically you paste your long URL in a box - and it returns you a short URL. As people click on the link, bitly records this information. By watching bitly hits you can see who is interested in what topics.
As I mentioned, I'm rushed today so I'll post on the kinds of results you get from using bitly in a future post. But for now, do the following:
- Sign up for bitly.
- Take the URL for this post and make a bitly out of it.
- Tweet about this post and include the bitly link.